martedì 29 settembre 2009

We have a ticket system! www.tabbles.net/support



It's powered by Mantis. Why Mantis and not Bugzilla? Read below :-)


The background: Many people asked us to install Bugzilla. As nothing was happening, they eventually started threatening me (specially Maurizio). On Sunday I started trying to install Bugzilla on our *inexpensive* shared hosting.

Since then (for the last 2 days) I've been fighting with:

- Bugzilla
(I won!)

- perl
(I won!)
- MySQL + our hosting
(I've lost, but I fought a lot)

- MySQL on another hosting
(!!!) (I've lost here too...)


The issue is that Bugzilla requires the db tables (not the tabbles :D ) to be formatted using InnoDB, and not the old-school MyISAM.
There is a good reason for this: InnoDB supports row-locking, making the db more stable (although a bit slower). Because of this, our hosting doesn't allow shared hostings to have their db formatted using InnoDB...of course I found this our at the very last second of the Bugzilla setup process.
But I didn't give up yet: I asked around and someone pointed me to an italian hosting service that would offer a free hosting plan including InnoDB: while this all corresponds to reality, I later figured out that they won't accept connection to the MySQL coming from the outside.

Then I downloaded Mantis and set it up and within some 3-4 minutes it was online and kicking! here you go. :)

Peace,

Andrea

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento

Nota. Solo i membri di questo blog possono postare un commento.